I finally bit the bullet and decided to try out a few of the Makeup Geek Eye Shadows. I've been hearing Jaclyn Hill rave on and on about these so my cousin and I knew it was time to get our hands on some. She chose 3 colours and I chose 5 (originally I wanted 2 but I couldn't decide!)
Also pictured above are a few Zoeva and Sigma brushes, plus my new favourite mascara by IT Cosmetics - The Tightline Mascara. I highly recommend as it extremely lengthens and seperates my lashes giving a false lash effect - which I need as I can't apply falsies..
Top row, from left to right: Beaches and Cream, Shimma Shimma
Bottom row, from left to right: Peach Smoothie, Creme Brulee, Cosmopolitan
However, Peach Smoothie is my cousins shadow, I chose another shade that I forgot to add into the photo called Cocoa Bear and it can be seen in last photo.
A bit about the shadows
- Cosmopolitan - this is a rose gold shadow more so on the pinky side. It's very creamy, glides on like a dream and blends out effortlessly. It has gold glitter pigments in it creating a super shimmery look and works really nicely with all colours pictured above.
- Beaches and Cream - makes for a great base shade. It's a matte peach shade and works well in the outer crease area.
- Shimma Shimma - super pretty shimmery champagne colour. Looks like the baby of the nude and champagne colour in the Lorac Pro Palette. Works well in the inner corner as a highlight shade and I guess it would also work well as a eyebrow highlight.
- Peach Smoothie - as the name states, it is a peachy colour. I found it to be a bit chalky in texture. Didn't test this one out as it is my cousins and I feel like it would suit her lighter skin tone much better than my olivey/tan tone.
- Creme Brulee - this is a sandy colour that would work really well with Cocoa Bear to create a warm smokey eye look.
Top row: Peach Smoothie
Bottom row from left to right: Mocha and High Tea
As I talked about Peach Smoothie above, I'll get straight into talking about the other two shades:
- Mocha - as you can tell, this is a matte brown colour which i found to be chalkier in texture then all the previous colours. I can see it working really nicely in a smokey eye along with cocoa bear. This colour almost reminds me of espresso in the Lorac Pro Palette, however this shade is far more warmer.
- High Tea - this is supposed to be a green colour, however when I swatched it i found it came out with a very grey undertone making it look more grey than green. This too was quite chalky, however I think it would also work well in a smokey eye.
All in all, just by swatching them and seeing them in front of me I can say that they are super pretty, very pigmented colours and are of a high quality - just like everyone has raved about.
Would I recommend them? For now I say yes, only because I just got these today and haven't had a proper chance to test them all out. I did a look today using all the shades I chose and it came out alright. I just need to play with the colours a little bit more.
I didn't purchase a Z-Palette however I now believe its necessary to have as there is really no other way to store these shadows without one. I'll probably get a medium size as there are a few more colours on the Makeup Geek site that I'd like to add to my little collection.
Feel free to leave a comment if you'd like to know more!